Wednesday, August 26, 2009
The Peace of Christ in Dealing With Difficult People
Colossians 3:15 "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts."
1. The context of this verse is in relationships with the body (Church), particularly your local body.
2. Rule- act as arbiter, the decision maker. Literally let the peace of Christ be the deciding factor in your heart.
What does this mean?
1. We decide what to do based on what would bring peace with Christ.
2. We decide what to do based on what would promote peace with Christ.
3. We strive to live at peace with all people.
4. We deal with necessary conflict in a way that would promote peace & harmony.
5. We make decisions that promote a feeling of peace between you and God.
What this doesn't necessarily mean-
That we sweep necessary conflict under the rug.
So in dealing with difficult people, we ask ourselves, "Would this action, attitude, word bring the peace of Christ to this situation or would it bring conflict, strife, division, death?" Then we chose whether we will let this peace rule in us.