Friday, October 9, 2009

Being graceful in speech

NAU- Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

1. What not to say
"unwholesome"- (adv. sapros)- rotten, worthless, unwholesome, bad
Don't let any of this come out of your mouth!
Keep it to yourself & deal with it privately with God...even though you are bursting to say something like this.
If you are like me, sometimes I get so angry at someone that I FEEL I have to say something or burst. Well, this morning I was once again convicted to keep this to myself & if I have a bone with someone, then take it to the Lord in prayer. If I have to spill my angry beans, spill them in private with God.

2. What to say
"edification"-(noun, oikodome)- building words according to the need of the moment.
We are to speak words that are building, not rotten.
Neil Anderson once wrote, "Be a part of God's construction crew, not Satan's wrecking crew."

3. The advantage of speaking this way-
"Grace" (noun, charis)- it will give grace, kindness to those who hear.

Summary- God has called us to two simple things: Love God. Love people.
In order to love people, we can be people who never speak rotten (of others, or through being complainers, whiner babies ;-p ) but speak in such a way that we help people grow in grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment