Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Build on Sand: 3 Steps to a Stable Life


I have nothing new to say to you, but Jesus has something to say, to help you build a stable life. I was reading Luke 6:46-49 for our Wednesday night study, & thought I would share with you this teaching of Jesus.
Luke 6:46–49 (ESV)

A great question: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?"

Immediately I think of some celebrities who have called themselves "Christian" but lived an opposing life. Not As an example: The pastor of Westborough Baptist (the guy who holds the "God hates..." signs at funerals). Following that, I ask myself the question, "Do I call Jesus 'Lord' and do what He says? What does He say?"


"Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like:"

Here are the 3 steps-

1. Come to Jesus

2. Hear His words

3. Do what Jesus says to do


Here is a description, an illustration, a word-painting of what this person is like:

"He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.

But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

There are 2 types of people in this picture: they both come and hear. The difference is that the first man acts, the second does not act. The first does, the second doesn't. That is the only difference, but this one small decision to do or not to do is a major decision.

So, do you come, do you hear, do you do?

A lot of 'church-goers' are great at coming & hearing the preacher give his 'book report' and this is good. However, most of these miss the 3rd step. They don't APPLY Jesus to life.

A couple of verses that come to mind: James 1:19-25, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 25:32-46, Ephesians 2:8-10

The steps are simply stated, and a joy to do. Don't be a mere hearer, be a doer. His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

Let's work on this together. Let me know how I can come alongside and help you.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment