Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Muammar Ghadaffi, Osama Bin Laden, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and you.
The reason why is because God's standard, His measuring stick, His lowest denominator, His minimum requirement of morality & goodness is Jesus. If we measure up short compared to the righteousness of Jesus at all, we fall short of the glory of God & deserve the punishment for our bad, evil choices.
Quick facts from Scripture:
1. Jesus didn't even refer to Himself as good (Mark 10:18).
2. Jesus taught that unless our righteousness surpassed the holy leaders, we couldn't dwell with God (Matthew 5:20).
3. James, the one sent out by Jesus to teach, also Jesus' brother, taught that if we obey God in every area yet stumble in one part, we are guilty before God, as if we broke every law (James 2:10).
4. The Bible teaches that there are none righteous, not even one. We have all turned aside, we all ignore God. We all have done evil & have fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:10-20).
5. We can never do enough good, pay enough penance, say enough prayers, go to church enough, give enough money, help enough old ladies, to get out of the evil we have committed, the law we have broken. Our best efforts are like filthy bloody menstrual rags (Isaiah 64:6).
Do those listed above deserve Hell more than you or I? No. Now what they did was especially destructive, evil, and hurt many many many people whom God loves. No doubt what they did was very damnable, according to Scripture. But let's be honest, don't we all break God's law?
Here is a test, from Scripture, to see if you stand guilty before God or innocent:
If you have done any of these you are guilty (this list is not exhaustive)-
1. From the line of Adam.
2. Ever looked at a women to lust after her?
3. Ever hated someone in your heart?
4. Ever called someone an idiot?
5. Ever disobeyed your parents?
6. Ever stolen anything? Then you are a thief.
7. Ever put anything else in your life besides living for God's glory?
8. Ever treated someone without love?
9. Ever lied? That would make you a liar.
10. Ever talked negatively about someone to someone else?
11. Ever made up a hurtful story about someone?
12. Ever bragged about something you've done & taken the credit for yourself?
13. Ever walked past a needy person without helping them?
14. Ever cheated on your taxes?
15. Ever not loved God with all your heart & soul?
16. Ever not loved God with all your resources?
17. Ever been discontent with what you have?
18. Ever initiated a divorce?
19. Ever hoarded wealth for yourself?
20. Ever done something that could have gotten someone else killed?
21. Ever ripped on a leader God put in place (a president, etc)?
22. Ever bullied someone?
How many of these have you done? How many do you do every day? Now let me be curt, how many times a day do you break God's law & become a guilty law breaker?
See how guilty we really are? We are all guilty, and the punishment for sin is Hell, eternal separation from God's blessing in a place of great pain. That is how serious sin is to God.
Now let me ask the question again. Who deserves to go to Hell?