Monday, June 3, 2013

Don't Waste Your Life

Acts 1:8, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.  And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere-in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Ephesians 5:16, "Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days."

I want to live my life & make a splash.  Not a pebble-sized splash but a M1A1 Abrahms tank type of splash!
 If I could dream, and let "idealist Jeff" loose, I would teach Bible College in Georgetown, Guyana.  I would be a Pastoral Studies prof at Moody Bible Institute.  I would be a pastor who would care for others & help them realize their gifts & set them loose to make the splash God called them to do.  I would focus on helping people come to know and grow in Christ. I would write for a magazine, write a book, be in the world reaching South Bend area for Jesus.  I would be in the public schools, connect the kids of South Bend to Camp Ray Bird, speak to large groups of believers, pray with power, visit those in prison, feed the poor, help the homeless get established, help widows, take in the hurting, go to the bars to share Jesus, be a priest in the Catholic church to help them get back to the Bible, save children from the sex trafficking, stand outside the abortion mill, be a CPC, be on the sheriff's posse for St. Joseph county, work at C&B Optical, and share Jesus with Muslims in the middle east & tell Jewish people about their Messiah in Jerusalem.  I would also, disciple my own children, care for my family, and win my best friend to Jesus. I want to see each of my friends in Heaven, I want to win the wayward back to Jesus. Then I would travel with Dare2Share & speak, live in New Orleans and help establish the church there. Oh, and I would live in Florida and care for the beach bums.  I would be rich & give most of my money to missions, and enjoy shooting.  This would surely be a "big splash".  That's for sure.

But then my friend Becca really challenged me.  She asked, "Who wrote most of the New Testament?"  it was actually Luke (wrote Luke & Acts).  He was a physician who had a totally different focus than Paul, the traveler.  He did what God called him to do and did a great job of it.

Maybe my being pulled is a desire for significance.  Maybe it is that I get excited and see the nobility in things. Maybe I am like the blonde Miss America contestant who is starry-eyed & wants to do everything good under the Son (notice the spelling ;-)  )

Which brings me to 1 Corinthians 12:7, "A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.  To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the message of special knowledge; to another great faith...."
God gives you a special role.  And to be pinned down by everything will make you ineffective in doing that one thing God called you to.  I am still learning this.

But this I do know:
1. God has called me to shepherd my family.
2. God has called me to be a pastor and proclaim His words.
3. God has called me to follow Jesus.
4. God has called me to love the person in front of me.
I may not be called to the niche you are, but I will pray for you to be empowered in doing what the Lord has called you to.

Still figuring this out, along with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment