Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Lord's Prayer #2: non-religious thoughts on it

"Your kingdom come.  Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven."



What a stress buster!  This is a prayer of submission, and letting go of our wills, and rolling with God's will. I was praying through the Lord's Prayer this morning, and continued with this part.

As a Christian, I feel responsible to work hard with and for the Lord.  Often, I feel the weight of responsibility, and pressure to "make things happen". I am a "get 'er done" type of guy. I am a field Marshall, who likes to sit and plan, but will soon get sick of planning and want to "charge" ahead and take the next hill.  So, I feel the weight of action often.  In fact, almost daily, upon waking, I am in a hurry to get out of bed to conquer what the Lord has for me that day. In fact, I never need to set an alarm.
I have also been taught to work hard & let people know that I work hard.  I also work hard, I think I really do.  So, being a person of action, and praying this, has been interesting for years.  Usually I just brush through this part of the prayer, kind of skip over it, because it seems nebulous & I was kind of like, "thy will be done, bla, bla, bla". I am a get it done person, so I wanted to do my check list of having done the Lord's Prayer, and now I was ready to go with God's blessing.

BUT, today this part stopped me dead in my tracks and brought rest to my lungs.  "Your kingdom come.  Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven."  This verse screams, "Cease striving and know that I am God."  "Man may make his plans, but the Lord's purposes prevail." "God is at work within you both to work and to will according to His good pleasure.". This verse screams, it is not your will Jeff Korhorn, it is God's will that you want done.  And it is NOT dependent on you, though you are certainly welcome to ask to be involved in the process.  Anyhow, this brought me a lot of peace and made me smile, and relax today.  I will still work hard, but will do it with peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment